10 May 2014

The Book: Salt By Nayyirah Waheed


Books V The Internet, no competition really? well I have to thank the internet for my latest book lust. Without which I would never had cyber connected with my life coach (she is not aware of this) xoDVF if you haven't checked her out she is hands down the best thing on Youtube (even better than video's of cats doing cute shit) during one of our video chats (huge announcement coming up end of May) she introduced me to Salt by Nayyirah Waheed during a book exchange ( I came out of this exchange on top as I suggested xoDVF read 50 Shades Of Jungle Fever......) Joking aside I'm so glad I found Salt, I downloaded it just over a week ago and I have read it 4 times already.



Salt is a book of poetry by Nayyirah Waheed, straight forward and utterly beautiful, this book speaks to wandering souls of the Diaspora regardless of what chunk of the earth we found ourselves.  Salt had a profound effect on me, it spoke to me as a mother and a woman and put into to words what I've never quite been able voice eloquently.  Salt effect you in some way, I urge you to read this book, I urge you to gift it to friends and family of all ages and genders.


I do not expect my child’s respect.
just because i have given birth to their life.
does not mean they owe me.
anything.
what I want most
is to look into my child’s eyes
and
see
that I have given birth
to
a
heart.
have
honored.
held and feed.
someones
heart.
from the moment we first met.
and
they love me for it.

― Nayyirah Waheed


I downloaded Salt but this is a book that needs to be held in your hands, placed on your night stand, it deserves to get dog eared with over reading and littered with underlining and pencil marks.

For a chance to win a copy of Salt by Nayyirah Waheed Check out xoDVF's review on the book here

$10 OFF KURLY KLIPS

$10 OFF KURLY KLIPS
use discount code: WIGWITCH