1 March 2012

Another Black Model Selling White Make Up?

Herieth Paul features in CK One current campaign for the brands new cosmetics line. She appears in the the new 3in1 face make up, joining models such a Jourdan Dunn for Burberry Cosmetics and YSL, Arlenis Sosa for Lancome, Solange Knowles for Rimmel London, *Beyonce for L'oreal & most recently Alesha Dixon for Avon all of which are the faces of mainly (until now perhaps) European targeted cosmetics brands. 

Interestingly yet not surprisingly the two shades that appear on the CK ad are no where near the shade of Herieths Skin tone, and I've found that many of these brand that claim to cater to the darker skin tones hold every shade of vanilla to tan and not much else. Perhaps this is just in the UK but when I rush into a department store looking for Burberry foundation for my skin tone to find that it doesn't exist, not even close or even worse that it does exist but the store doesn't hold it due to lack of demand! If you feel I'm repeating myself than you are right I discussed this issue here. On the surface it seems that brands are catching on to the fact that black woman wear make up but it takes more than using the latest 'it' model of colour in campaigns  when you are not stocking the product to back it up.

I find this irrating especially because I get a lot of PR requests asking me to review make up brands or I'm invited to launches for new lines, only to receive my sample and it be more suited to my Portuguese friends than me. It's bad PR and it's just plain misleading. Imagine attending an event for a well know cosmetics brands new launch knowing full well you are in the lippies and mascara zone and better not try to step out of it! 
Unless these brands are going to cater to darker skin tones stop force feeding me false advertising!

*Lancome seem to be the only brand stated that hold a relatively varied colour spec, With 5 shades in the Teint Idole Ultra range that look to be for darker skin tones and are readily available online  though Arlenis does not appear in a majority of the UK advertising campaign, a lighter skinned Tunisian model Hanaa Ben Abdesslem is used, so unless you dig it's not information that everyone has access to in the UK

*corrections and additions

*Four leading brands that use models of colour in their campaigns these are their current shade selections online available in the UK
L'oreal True Match Liquid Foundation

Avon Ideal Flawless

Burberry Sheer Compact Foundation

Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H


use discount code: WIGWITCH