3 January 2012

Hair Talk: Lyna Ahanda

We found time to talk hair with the Editor of Lurve Magazine & Vogue.It contributor....

Firstly introduce yourself? Where are you from and what do you do?
Lyna 28 I am from Paris, France

How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for 4 years

If you have transitioned to natural what prompted you more from processed to naturalhair?
I've never been a fan of weave, wigs or braids. My scalp is very sensitive so I rather let me hair " breathe"

How did you transition, did you big chop?
I've cut all my hair one morning. very short. I felt like a new me and loved it.

What were the main reasons for your choice to wear your natural hair? 
I decided to cut my hair when I was pregnant with my son, I went to get a weave and immediately felt like it was not me. That look was just the idea of what beauty was...

What are your earliest hair memories? How did these memories influence your hair journey today?
Im not going to lie, ive always had "good hair" very long and easy to style. For some reason my mother felt the need to press it for big occasions but I was wearing ponitails the rest of the time.
Having long hair has always been a "plus" in the african community, like being extra intelligent or extra talented
Cutting all my hair off was a bit of a dissapointement for my family.

What does having naturalhair mean to you? 
Being natural is not a statement, nothing political it is just the closest I can get to being myself.

How do you keep your hair looking so good? 
I wash my hair once a week with a black soap shampoo that is organic and that you can find in any organic shop.
Ive also learned that what you eat bassically defines your texture. I take a killer cocktail of vitamins everyday ( Biotin, Magnesium, Calcium and Vitamin D) If I dont drink enough water my hair doesnt look so good.


What products do you use in your hair? 
My hair routine is very simple I mostly use organic products.
I love the french line "Les secrets de Lolly" she makes a mix of different oils that are the best secret to keep my hair healthy. She also has a butter that makes my hair smell like Hagen Daz macadamia icecream (my husband says that)

What are your go to hair style? 
I like how nappy hair looks. I love the fluffy texture and of course the look

How do you protect your hair in the winter months?
I am very low maintenance, during winter I will wear my hair in cornrows but no extension.

Do you have any advice for women starting out on there natural journey?
My advice will be that they should not be afraid of being themselves, being natural is the best decision I've made in my life. Also don´t be afraid to trim your hair often.




Support Lyna at Lurve Magazine
Lyna also contributes to Vogue.it

$10 OFF KURLY KLIPS

$10 OFF KURLY KLIPS
use discount code: WIGWITCH