19 October 2011

Hair Talk: Natalie May

Firstly introduce yourself? Tell us where your from are and what do you do?
My name is Natalie May. I'm a singer-songwriter from North West London. Singing is my main thing but I'm slightly obsessed with fashion. Actually....SUPER obsessed with fashion. So I guess that makes me a singer-songwriter fashionista!

How long have you been natural?
Practically my whole life. I permed my hair once when I started secondary school and it just didn't agree with me. My hair got really thin and started to break. I remember feeling the peer pressure because all of my friends had permed their hair in secondary school and would say "OMG when are you going to relax your hair?  Your getting older now" Now they are the same ones saying "Your so lucky you didn't perm your hair. It’s so thick and long I Kind of wish I kept mine natural."

 What kept you from relaxing your hair?
My style, it’s quite retro. I wear some crazy things sometimes and my hair really compliments it. My style wouldn't be the same without my hair. Plus people are constantly stopping me in the street telling me they are jealous that they don't have hair like me. And I'm not talking about black people either, It's mainly people from other cultures and backgrounds that make a fuss over my hair.

How did you transition, did you big chop?
When my hair was damaged by the first and only perm; I remember putting my hair in extensions for YEARS! Like 5 years. It was seriously the best thing. My hair grew so much and got very thick.

What were the main reasons for your choice to wear your natural hair?
I like to look different. My character is quite out there. So my fashion and hair really display that. I seriously don't think I would be the same person without my afro.

What are your earliest hair memories? How did these memories influence your hair journey today?
I remember hating my hair in primary school, seriously hating it! My mum would do my hair in these huge cornrows and I felt horrible. I would do the towel thing. Yep! That's right I’d wrap a towel around my head and pretend to have long hair. The happiest 30 seconds of my childhood!

What does having natural hair mean to you? 
I would say wearing my hair natural is a style choice. It's so fun! I can do loads of different styles with it. Although most of the time I just have it out. I do get a lot of guys telling me it’s so nice to see a girl looking good with natural hair, and that's its boring seeing all these girls with the same hair style. I've worn straight wigs before in the past just to try it out and I definitely get more guys with my afro. It was like I was just another girl with straight hair when I wore my straight wig.

How do you keep your hair looking so good? 
I keep my hair products to a minimum. I'll use any black hair shampoo. Not to fused. But I only condition my hair with hair mayonnaise It makes it so soft. I'll leave the hair mayonnaise in for about 10 minutes and comb it through. When I blow dry it.
It’s really nice and soft. I use Single Bible hair oil. I try and stay away from hair grease. It makes my hair feel heavy, I don't like it.

What products do you use in your hair?
My favourite products are Hair Mayonnaise. It’s A MUST! Also, Single Bible Soft Oil. Leaves your hair feeling moisturized without feeling heavy.

What are your go to hairstyles? 
The classic afro I guess. I always plait my hair at night. I have to. Otherwise I wont be able to get a comb through it! Then I just comb it out in the morning and run some oil through it if I need to.

As someone who has to be styled, for shoots and music videos how do stylists approach your Natural hair?
Some stylists just get excited and want to do crazy extravagant styles that are not me. I usually style it myself. I did have one amazing hair stylist who pinned my hair up beautifully! I looked like someone out of the 1940's FABULOUS!

How do you protect your hair in the winter months?
I use extra conditioner and oil. It's important to keep the hair moisturized in the winter months.

Do you have any advice for women starting out on their natural journey?
I think its important to work out the products that work for you and your hair. Also, with natural hair I don't think you need to many products. We don't have any chemicals in our hair so as long as its wash and oiled, your good to go!
Experiment with hair accessories. I usually put flowers in my afro. It gives it a really cute and girly twist. Match the colour of the flower with an item of clothing. Your swagger will be right on point and you’re good to go!

Be sure to check out Natalie new EP May Day and follow her on twitter @TweetNatalieMay and follow her Fashion Tales here

If you would like to be considered to take part in the new 'Hair Talk' segment please contact naturalbelle1983@gmail.com please title your email 'Hair Talk Submission' and attach 1-3 good quality high res images, Natural Belle is always on  the look out for Naturalista's to feature.
 Check out previous hair talk here 


use discount code: WIGWITCH