18 October 2011

Hair Talk: Michelle

Firstly introduce yourself? Where are you from and what do you do?
My name is Michelle and I was born and raised in London but I have Ghanaian origins and I am a student.

How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for 6 years but due to lack of knowledge on how to tame my tresses my hair was of mediocre length, so I big chopped in January 2011 and began a new healthier hair regime.

How did you transition, did you big chop?
I did big chop to about 4inches of natural hair.

What were the main reasons for your choice to wear your natural hair?
I was drawn to wearing natural hair due to the versatility of natural hair.  Hair styles are infinite, varying in style and textures and it’s just so much fun.

What are your earliest hair memories? How did these memories influence your hair journey today?
When I was younger my mum use to thread my hair and I would wear it like that to school and my brother use to tease me and say I looked like Medusa, the Greek God who had snakes on my head.  I hated the name calling and I just wanted to cover my hair so that nobody would ever see my natural hair.  When I reached of age, I wore weaves never letting my natural hair breathe it was always one weave after another and my hair was never left out for longer than a day.

What does having natural hair mean to you?
Natural hair is definitely a style choice and I believe that it’s definitely another expression of my character and my personality.  I am not the darkest of black people but whenever I wear my hair out in an afro I always get compliments and people tell me that I look very Afrocentric and nubian.  A lot of the time I then tell them about my Ghanaian roots and we stimulate conversations our heritages.

How do you keep your hair looking so good? 
Healthy hair is down to a good regime.  At the minute, my hair is in braids so I wash once a month and co-wash every 2 weeks.  I keep my hair scalp moisturized using a home-made mix coconut oil, tea tree oil and drop of rosemary oil.  Every other day I spritz my hair with another home-made mix of glycerin and water.  Once it starts getting colder I will stop using the glycerin.  Last summer I washed my hair once every two weeks and co washed every week as I was using a lot more products in the summer than the winter.  Once a month a would deep condition using my home-made recipes.

What products do you use in your hair?
 Shea butter and coconut oil are my two staples I cannot live without them.

What are your go to hairstyles?
My twists out is definitely my go to style as its and so quick and easy.  If I want a more defined twists out I will twists in smaller sections but if I am in a rush I will do then quite hard.

How do you protect your hair in the winter months?
This is my first winter under my new regime so I am wearing box braids this winter and probably put in kinky twists at a later date.

Do you have any advice for women starting out on their natural journey?
Yes, patience.   And try and find a regime that suits you, no two hair regimes are the same, so what works for someone else may not work for you so be patient with your hair.  Get to know your hair and how it works what it likes and what it doesn’t like and your journey will be a lot smoother.

Where can we find you? 
 You can follow me on my blog www.kurlskoilskinks.blogspot.com

If you would like to be considered to take part in the new 'Hair Talk' segment please contact naturalbelle1983@gmail.com please title your email 'Hair Talk Submission' and attach 1-3 good quality high res images, Natural Belle is always on  the look out for Naturalista's to feature.
 Check out previous hair talk here & here


use discount code: WIGWITCH